I recently had a conversation with a friend who asked me, outside of going to parties or to social events, what else do people do for fun? Well, here's a list of things I dare you to do for fun at least once in a lifetime.
WARNING: This blog may change the way you live your life. Forever.
1. Visit all seven continents. The world is HUGE! Don't be satisfied with experiencing it only through the TV screen. Visit Africa, North America, South America, Australia, Asia, Europe, and Antarctica at least once in your life.
2. Switch off everything for a whole week. No phone, no internet, no TV. Nothing. Technology is great, but it takes us away from the present moment because we are always chatting with someone who isn't there. Disconnect for a little while. Be present. Be in the moment. Read a book. Go for walks and really notice what is around.
3. Ask someone you like out on a date. Forget flirting via text or social media, ask someone out on a real date. Dress up really nicely, pick them up and go to the door to meet them instead of asking them to meet you outside. Bring them a bunch of flowers, and give them an incredible experience. Plan something that won't necessary cost a lot of money, but something that is personal, special, and well-thought out.
4. Spoil yourself with something expensive. Think of something selfish, but something that you can hand down to your kids. An art piece, a vintage car, a Rolex, a Berkin...
5. Do an extreme sport like bungee jumping, sky diving, paragliding, or swimming with the sharks. Something you think you'll never do. Face your fear.
6. Go skiing in the Alps.
7. Write a letter to your child for them to open on their 21st birthday. Or create an email for your child and write them regular messages. Give them the password on their 21st birthday.
8. Write a letter to yourself that you will open 10 years from today. Tell yourself where you will be, what you will have and what you will be doing.
9. Be on a reality TV show. Even if you don’t make it to the final, be part of the experience so that you'll look back one day and say you were once on a reality TV show.
10. Live in a different country on another continent. Living away from home makes you grow in ways you could never imagine. Be an au pair, do an exchange student's program, or find a job in a foreign country for a year. This will be the most life-changing experience of your life. Trust me.
11. Take yourself out, alone, to an upmarket restaurant where you need to reserve a table weeks in advance. Dress up and order the best meal on the menu. Enjoy.
12. Go on holiday, alone, to a city where you have no family or friends. There is something really interesting about vacationing alone. You can do whatever you want to do, whenever you want to do it, for as long as you want to do it, without having to consider anyone else. People also tend to be very friendly to you when you're traveling alone. It's a great way to meet new people and make friends from different countries and cultures.
13. Buy roses at the traffic light and tell the guy selling them to give it to the person in the car behind you.
14. Write a message, put it in a bottle and throw it in the sea.
15. Send a handwritten letter to your lover via the post office. Yes, yes, snail mail.
16. Find an underprivileged child and buy them the whole year’s school stationary. Make it personal by meeting the child and taking them shopping for the school supplies. If you can afford it, buy them new school uniform as well.
17. Test drive a sports car you can’t afford...yet. On a Friday afternoon, go test drive a car you one day hope to own.
18. Go to an expensive open house. On a Sunday afternoon, go view a house you can't afford...yet, but one day hope to own.
19. Mentor someone. Commit to changing someone's life. It could be a school kid who aspires to do what you do, or a young person trying to find their way, or someone who's simply trying to change their life. Changing someone's life will change your life.
20. You know how people buy people drinks at a club or a bar? Go to a bookstore, meet someone interesting, and buy them one of your favourite books. Write your number in it and tell them to call you when they've read the book.
21. Find a childhood friend whom you haven't seen in years and reconnect with them.
22. Everyday, pay a total stranger a compliment.
23. Learn something new. Perhaps a foreign language, how to play a music instrument, how to play chess, or anything you've always been curious about.
24. Start a library for your family. Buy books and keep them for your children to read as they grow older. Challenge them to add to the collection and eventually hand down the library to their children. Make this a family tradition for generations to come.
25. Go see your favourite artist perform in another country. Or better yet, go to a music festival in a foreign country.
26. Kiss a hot celebrity. Don’t date them. Don’t sleep with them. Only kiss them.
27. Dedicate an entire week-end to helping people who could possibly never be able to pay you back. Take care of orphans, help the elderly in an old age home, or feed the homeless. Find a charity around your home and volunteer.
28. Book your parents into a hotel for a weekend. Not on any special occasion, just as a random act of gratitude.
29. Forgive someone you’ve been holding a grudge against. Write them a note or email or text or even call and tell them that you forgive them.
30. Have the perfect body. Challenge yourself to have the body you've always wanted and give yourself exactly six months to achieve this goal. Then start a health and fitness program to fulfil this goal. Do it not only to look good, but also to feel good about yourself naked and more importantly, to be healthy.
31. Get married. I think marriage is a beautiful thing that we should all experience at least once in a lifetime.
32. Dance on top of the table in a bar. Or do something just as ridiculous and silly. Something you will look back and laugh at.
33. Take one of your parents on holiday. Just the two of you. Spend the week together and get to know each other again without people and daily routines distracting you.
34. Go on a road-trip with your best friends for a week. Don’t plan anything. Switch off your phones. Get in a car and drive to nowhere slowly. Stop at random places. Meet the locals. Take lots of pics.
35. Learn yoga and learn how to meditate. It will do wonders for your life!
36. Get a new hobby. Technology has developed so much that we no longer have to leave our couches to pursue what we enjoy. Get a new hobby or start doing an old hobby again. Grow a vegetable garden, write poetry, learn photography, join a cooking club, take a painting class. Something. Anything!
37. Become a couch surfer. Did you know that you could actually travel the world and not pay a cent for accommodation? Yup! You register at www.couchsurfer.com to become a member. You can accommodate people from all over the world on your couch for a night or two, and also stay on their couch for free when you're travelling the world. It really is that simple.
38. House swap. Ever watched the movie "The Holiday" with Cameron Diaz and Jude Law? That's where I learned about www.homeexchange.com. Go on there, register your home, and whenever you want to go on holiday you can swap homes with someone from a different country or city. I kid you not.
39. Pack your bags, go to the airport and ask the travel agent to book you a flight to anywhere random. Get on the plane and go on an adventure to a surprise destination.
40. Bake a cake from scratch for someone special. Also make them a mix tape with all the songs that remind you of them. Don't wait for a special occasion. Do it on a random day. Make them feel special.
41. Publish a book. Write a memoir and share the story of your life with the world in your own words. If you feel that your life isn't that interesting, write a biography about someone whom you truly admire. Someone whose story may otherwise never be heard by the world.
42. LIVE YOUR DREAM! Visit somewhere you’ve always wanted to go. Go after your perfect job. Date your crush. Leave no regrets!
43. Get paid to do what you love to do. "The biggest mistake you could ever make is thinking that you can't get paid to do what you love." If you like to talk, think of Oprah. If you like to cook, think of Jamie Oliver. If you like to make people laugh, think of Trevor Noah. If you like shopping, think of June Ambrose. Yes, you CAN get paid to do ANYTHING you love to do.
44. Love someone completely and unconditionally! Love them wholly and with no inhibitions. Tell them you love them. Show them everyday that you love them. Teach them how to love you by the way that you love them. Let your love change them for good.
45. Finally.....Be happy. Make whatever change, whether big or small, for you to be happy. Life really is too short for you to live it unhappy. This is not a rehearsal. There is no second take. You only get one shot. Don't waste it. Be happy.
I think a lot. I question a lot. This is my journey to finding the answers and also sharing with you my thoughts on life as i see it...
bits & pieces